Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Even when I don't understand...

Oh Lord...Your Word is so incredibly powerful.  It says, "Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them.  Full of splendor and majesty is His work, and His righteousness endures forever"  (Psalm 111:2, 3).  Period.  There is no specification, no rules...it doesn't say "Great are Your works that bless me"...or, "great are the works that are good for me"...no, all Your works fall under this category of greatness...even those that I do not understand, like, or want to deal with; truly, "GREAT are the works of the Lord."
It goes on to say that these works are "studied by all who delight in them..."  Studied...I haven't thought much about that since graduating...what does it mean that I study Your works??  I set my heart adn mind upon them, I look at them over and over, I think about them, meditate upon them...Oh Lord, can I honestly say that I do this...that all Your works are my delight, that I consider them, think deeply upon them?  Teach me what it means to have my heart and mind so fully consumed with You.
And teach me what it means to find my delight in Your works...even those that I don't understand, those I don't like.  To be delighted is a choice  It is not something that just happens, but instead is deeply intentional.  The person in these verses chooses to make You and Your works their delight, even when it is not easy.  Oh God, grant me such passion and intensity for You and Your ways!  There is no doubt You are worthy of it. 
Father, there are times when I don't like what You do.  I don't think things that happen are fair or right.  Yet, You have called me, not to be sovreign judge (for that is a role only You can fill), but to find my delight solely in You.  Teach me what it means, in every single situation, to cling to the fact that You are supreme, You are holy, You are righteous, and You are good...let my heart rejoice and find praise in all Your ways, and may that very act bring You the glory and awe due Your name.  Oh God, may You be deeply, earnestly praised...

1 comment:

  1. Michael has helped me find this very special blog. I love you both so much. I leave you with this Numbers 6:24-26

    ReplyDelete