Thursday, September 2, 2010

...foundation...

I've officially entered Mommy world:  my days are governed by someone teeny-tiny, who doesn't have a whole lot of understanding if you don't meet her needs.  Without a doubt, it's one of the most overwhelming things I've ever done.  Probably the only thing that has really been the same each day has been the number of diapers I've changed and how many times I have asked myself over and over again, "Is this right?"  "Am I doing this well?"  "Is this going to hurt her?"  "Am I wrong?"  I've noticed that I walk through each day with a slight sick, nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach, constantly stressing if everything is "okay."
My guess is I'm not the only one.  Based on conversations I've had with friends, I know people dealing with new jobs, trying to find a job, cancer and other family illnesses, new houses and places to live, financial struggles, the list could go on...Maybe you're one of those people who has a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.
Yesterday made all the difference.  I've tried to make it a point to read my Bible every day (even if it is while I'm nursing...I think the Lord's presence is there too).  The words that sank in deep for me yesterday were such a gift:  in Isaiah 28, the Lord is calling His judgment upon some of the tribes of Israel.  Though He has proven Himself faithful over and over to them, revealing His supremacy in wisdom, might, and power, they have continually chosen to stake their lives in other things.  With absolute authority, He proclaims that their efforts are not only in vain, they will lead to their desperate destruction:  "therefore thus says the Lord God, 'Behold, I am the ONE who has laid as a foundation in Zion, a stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation..." (verse 16).
May you find as much hope as I did in those words.  May they be what you sink your teeth into in every moment of the day:  good, bad, confusing, hopeless, overwhelming...anything.  You see, when He is my foundation, my cornerstone, my rock, my circumstances can be whatever they are.  It doesn't make them easier, but it does make it possible to go through them.
Cling to that hope, that foundation today.  May you know His grace and strength and love in all things, and may it be everything you stake your life upon.
Here's to today...

No comments:

Post a Comment