Friday, September 3, 2010

...i want my mommy...

I got a good lesson in what it means to be a mommy this past week.  Who better to teach it to me than my own mom.  I don't know anyone who could deny that she is beyond amazing.  From Sunday to Wednesday night, she was here.
And she wasn't just here.  I mean, she was really here.  As soon as she walked in she was unloading the lunch she had made us.  About thirty minutes later she was cleaning like a madwoman (she even scrubbed my toilets).  For the entire time she was here, she was available...she was intentional, thoughtful.  Sometimes, it was just her presence I needed.  Sometimes, it was her helping hands (which I am still missing).  And sometimes, it was her macarroni and cheese...:)  (The boys are still so thankful Mom!)
It didn't matter what it was.  She didn't care.  She wasn't looking for the most prestigious thing she could do.  She wasn't looking for the easiest, or the most fun.  She was just looking to help.
Why?  Love.  She loves me.  She loves Kade.  She loves Selah.  And love drove her to put herself last...even though it meant she was scrubbing toilets, folding laundry, or getting woken up at all hours of the night.
Sometimes, love isn't easy.  Right now, loving my precious little baby girl has some hard times.  I'm not the first mom who has felt that way, nor am I the first person who has felt that way in loving someone else.  Sometimes, loving someone else is hard.  Yet that is exactly the call for any who would say they are a follower of Christ, the supreme example of what it means to love.
As I watched my mom serving my family and me, I was reminded of my Savior's perfect love.  Her actions perfect followed His commandment to us:  ""Anew commandment I give to you, that you love one another:  just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."  (John 13:15-16)
So, in light of such love, I too will love.  My Savior has loved me, with love that is perfect and real.  And in every way, my mother has shown me what it means to love like that, completely out loud.  Like them, I will love, even when it's not easy.

1 comment:

  1. It is pretty awesome to be loved by someone as much as our mothers love us. I hope you are adjusting to motherhood. I know it can be trying at times but so rewarding. My mom stayed with me the first week and I don't know what I would have done without her. I had the baby blues really bad and she got me through that first week. You and your family are in my prayers and I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete