Saturday, August 7, 2010

for grandpa...

Good byes are never fun, or easy.  My family said good-bye to my Grandpa this past weekend.  It wasn't easy, but it wasn't all sad.  In fact, one of the things I loved so much about our time is that it was such a celebration of him.  There were so many stories that were shared, laughter at funny things he had said or done, and such joy over who he was.  Yeah, I cried...quite a bit in fact.  I don't like thinking that I won't see him again, get to hear his voice, or smell his mixture of Old Spice and tobacco.  But, our time this weekend just made me thankful for him.
Something else I was thankful for came during his funeral.  The pastor had shared several stories that were fond memories of him.  Then he shared some scriptures that my grandma, aunts, and dad had shared to provide comfort in a time that is not so comforting.  My favorite was from Romans 8:  "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death."  As I heard those words, I rejoiced that even at Grandpa's funeral, there could be a reminder of the work my God has done in and for me.  For those who are His, there is no condemnation:  instead, there is grace to cover sin, forgiveness to cover wrong, and hope for sanctification and change.  There is life and freedom, even though it is completely undeserved.
Yes, the weekend was sad.  And yes, I hate good-bye.  But I was reminded that, even in our sorrow, there is hope and joy.  I have been set free, made alive by my God.  I wouldn't have that reminder without you, Grandpa...and for that I thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Lacey,

    You have the same gift of words as your great grandmothers. Both Elvina and Rose had a wonderful way with words. I hope you have had the opportunity to read some of it.

    Love,
    Karna

    ReplyDelete